Journey of a Birder!!! Chapter 3- Journey to Bhutan

Venturing from the lush green canopies of Sikkim
To the land of Thunder Dragon


The enchanted path led to the sleepy hollow... The gateway to the "land of Thunder Dragon!!!!"


The trek down in Sikkim was a sort of running for time kind of affair. It was raining and the getting dark pretty fast! I still had 4-5 hours of journey remaining and 2-3 hours of light to cover it in. With approx. 3 feet wide slippery path ending in a cliff on one side, the trek was definitely going to be fun. Kept running almost the whole way with yes me slipping thrice... luckily I slipped in exactly right direction. LOL!!!


Reached back to the town of Bagdogra... Next thing was to catch a train to Jalpaiguri so that I could get to the port of entry for Bhutan. Luckily I had a friend in Jalpaiguri with whom I could bunk for the night before leaving for Bhutan. 

I am on the station, ready to catch the train. As I was getting the general compartment ticket the guy at the ticketing window said I should run as my train was at the station. The train was a general train, it did not have any information displayed. Ran to the platform asked the cop on the platform if it was right train. He said yes. Asked the people at the door, they said yes! Cool got in the train, it was a two hour journey. An hour and half later, 

Me: Sir can you let me know when Jalpaiguri station will come

Sir: You are in wrong train
Me: What!!!!????
Sir: This train is going in opposite direction. Get down at next stop and get another train.

This was conformed by other passengers. 

What!!! After asking a cop, fellow passengers at the compartment door and yes the ticketing guy, I was still misguided to the wrong train. WHY???
Finally I was able to reach my destination. 6 hours late. 
The next day was spent trying to get the permit to enter Bhutan. Which was no fun. Standing in line for hours.

Finally I was allowed to enter Bhutan. I took the bus to capital city- Thimpu! I was supposed to reach by 9pm. However a lanslide and an accident on the way did not help! After standing in a traffic jam for hours, the driver decided to be batman!  We were asked to get down from the bus as the the driver decided to bypass the traffic by driving on the very edge of road with an endless cliff on the side. Guess what... the soil was soft and hence a little more load could mean skydiving in/with the bus, thus we were all asked to get down. We had no other option but to walk behind the bus for another 2 km. Finally reached Thimpu at 1 am. 


All the hotels and lodges were shut. What!!! Where do I stay now?


Barely after half an hour of using my backpack as a pillow on the streets of Thimpu, a cop came up and asked me to leave the place. That is convenient! Where to now?

Finally after hours of searching I was able to find a lodge that was open. 

Me: Can I get a room for tonight.

Manager: We are all full.
Me: Can I stay over here by the reception counter. Do try to understand my situation!
Manager: We have a room. With no bed, there is a leak in ceiling and no window! 
Me: I will take it.
Manager: Check the room out first.

The room was highly concentrated version of a very wet rain forest! I guess I was home!!!

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flight of the wingless bird

How I started producing Zero Waste

Communicating without Language